Volunteering with Farnham ASSIST
Farnham ASSIST is currently seeking volunteers
on their Praise and Worship Team.
These teams lead short (30-minute) monthly seasonal services at several care homes in the town and at the Gostrey Day Centre. Each service is prepared in advance by the office and sent to the team with the rota for the coming months.
Volunteers would be part of a small team. They give the office their date availability in advance; and can offer to help as much or as little as they are able.
There is an urgent need for more people who can lead the service through, prepare and lead prayers, or give a short talk on the theme. The team who visit Hillbrow (Upper Hale) at 11:00 a.m on the first Tuesday each month has recently lost 3 volunteers through relocation and illness — it would be great to hear from anyone who could help out.
Farnham ASSIST is a Christian charity set up to support older people living in the local community. ASSIST is always keen to welcome additional volunteers into the team, where you will have the opportunity to make a big difference to older people, especially those living on their own in the town.
You’ll also get to have a lot of fun and learn new skills. Whether you can spare an hour or an afternoon, you will help to make sure that as many people as possible can benefit from ASSIST’s work.
Range of Volunteer Opportunities - There is a wide range but here is a sample of the possibilities:
- As a new friend making regular visits to someone living on their own and possibly housebound. We always take great care to match people to ensure there are interests or circumstances in common that will encourage the friendship to strengthen and grow.
- At our monthly lunches, helping with transport, or preparing or serving the lunch.
- At our monthly seasonal services held in local care homes and the Gostrey Center, with leading a prepared service, giving a small talk, prayers and music.
- At annual events such as “Songs of Praise” and the annual “Carol Service”, with transport or serving refreshments.
All of these are on a rotational basis to suit your capability and availability.
Farnham Assist is based at 7 St.George’s Yard Farnham Surrey. If you are interested and would like to talk to us without commitment, please contact June Trantom:
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 01252 717710 (Monday, Tuesday or Thursday mornings)