St.Martin by the Green
Diamond Jubilee Weekend
10th-11th June 2017
When St.Martin’s church was originally built in 1904 as “The Tilford Mission Church” it was only licensed for Sunday services.
When the addition of a vestry to the church was being considered in the 1950s, it was decided that the church, now known as “The Lower Bourne Mission Church”, should be dedicated so that all forms of worship, such as baptisms, weddings and funerals, could be held there.
This service was held on Sunday 9th June 1957, and was conducted by the Rt.Revd.George Edmund Reindorp, Bishop of Guildford, with Revd.Jennings, the Vicar of St.Thomas’, and Revd.Richard Coombs and Revd.Frederick Chamberlain, Curates.
St.Martin’s celebrated 100 years of worship in 2004. In June 2017, St.Martin’s celebrated 60 years of “official” worship with a number of events.
- On Saturday 10th June, an evening Diamond Jubilee Concert was held in the church, featuring the “Anemos” Wind Ensemble, with Andrew Harrap playing the organ. The concert raised £555 for Christian Aid through the retiring collection.
- On Sunday 11th June, for the morning service, a special celebration of Holy Communion officiated by Rt.Revd. Dr.Christopher Herbert. During the service, the new nave altar was consecrated. You can read the address given during the service by Revd. Herbert; PLEASE CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD (PDF format - size 43,365 bytes).
Acknowledgements to Brian White for the background notes.]
Return to top of page